Hi Tom.

I've actually often thought part of the problem in the developement of some games is that when some mainstream concept is not possible for whatever reason, it seems to be just missed out rather than replaced by something to maintain the complexity.

for instance in original duckhunt you tracked the ducks flying diagonally on a large playing field with a light gun, but in Liam's port you just track them in sterrio and not verticlly.

Well obviously tracking with a light gun the same as the original game is not possible, but why not add in something else to compensate, ----- for instance have the ducks need to be targited vertically like the gorbian ships in troop 2, or add in a distance factor so that you need to hit the ducks directly in the center of the field and get points accordingly.

similarly, in your original monti game, so we can't have bouncing skulls, well why not put in another hazard that falls from above which you need to simply avoid, such as some crushes that hammer down from the cieling intermitantly like the fwomps in mario, sinse avoiding these and! jumping a skull at the same time would offer a similar spacial exercize to the bouncing skull.

Of course, i know part of this is because developing games is simply difficult, and that a sterrio field does not naturally hold as much information as a visual one meaning that extra complexity requires extra coding, but stil I think it'd be something worth thinking about when creating an action game, how to introduce multiple factors the player needs to judge into the mix so that the game does not devolve into boppit.

Pipe 2 is a good example of an attempt at this, though even there I think more could've been added, for instance more directional hazards similar to lectricity on pipe levels which you needed to be aware of.

Beware the grue!