On 4/10/06, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Martin Cooper wrote:
>
> > On 4/10/06, robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

> an
> want
> >>
> >> the sandbox already exists. the management and supervision were
> >> entrusted to the commons sub-project. sub-projects have no formal
> >> existence. the scope of the sandbox is the same as the scope for
> >> jakarta.
> >>
> >> anything that is in scope for jakarta is in scope for sub-projects.
> code
> >> in other languages is pretty much out but nearly any subject is in
> >> scope. the only limits are imposed by the community itself.
> >

> > When something graduates from this "Jakarta Sandbox", where does it go?
> > Being a _Jakarta_ sandbox, one might assume that it becomes a Jakarta
> > subproject. But Hen has claimed to want to morph Jakarta into a
> > non-umbrella, and graduating to a new Jakarta subproject would be
> counter to
> > that goal. On the other hand, if it graduates to somewhere outside of
> > Jakarta, why is the sandbox inside of Jakarta?
>
> In my incoherent mind it's:
>
> Jakarta is
>     Components
>     Sandbox
>
> Things move from sandbox to components. Once there, they are arranged into
> groupings to smooth communication.

That would be fine if there was a well-defined scope for the sandbox. As
Andy and others have pointed out, there is no scope right now. That means
that someone could start, say, a new servlet container, or an OSGi
framework, or whatever, that would have no reasonable place as a Jakarta
Component.

--
Martin Cooper

Hen