* Jim Peters ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [000123 03:36]:

> On my outdated laptop, I use GS to create bit-map files, and a very basic
> anti-aliasing zooming PBM-viewer to display them (which I wrote).  This is
> based on SVGALIB, so it should work under emulation with GGI (?right?).
> It's not as painful as it sounds, even on a 486.  I can send the source if
> you're interested.

Sure, send it to me. You could also look at the pbm gs driver code (gdevpbm
I thinh). Since you know how pbm works, I think it would be a simple task
for you to modify the pbm gs driver to output to a ggi target... Who knows?
Anyway, vgalib emulation on my laptop never worked. There's something with
vgagl, I don't know. Maybe I should give it another try.

> A GGI-based GV-replacement will be on my wish-list too, once I get GGI more
> incorporated into my setup, plus of course a GGI-based web-browser.  Then I
> can throw X away too !

A GGI replacement for the X library (display opening & pixel & text drawing
routines) would do the trick automatically. But that's a big task, and afaik
not on the wish list of anyone with time to do that :( I too am waiting the
day I can do without X. Alt-Fn works wonders, but I still need to see dvi,
ps, and do secure transactions in sites with frames...

Cheers,

--
Cesar Augusto Rorato Crusius      o__     o__     o__     o__     o__
Stanford University               ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_   ,>/'_

HE WHO SACRIFICES FUNCTIONALITY FOR EASE OF USE
LOSES BOTH AND DESERVES NEITHER