On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:23:57AM +0200, Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> we should just drop a number of files in the user directory. Unlike
> the GNOME developers we don't expect our users to be stupid. We put a

One need not be stupid to not understand the dialog, though. Even
experienced artists (== non-stupid) might not understand, nor even care.

> lot of effort into writing user-editable configuration files. We try
> to document what the user can do with her personal gimp directory. The

Hmm.. yes, that makes perfect sense, but I always wondered why it is
hidden inside a dialog I see exactly once, when installing gimp. That
dialog is hidden quite perfectly, and users won't normally ever see them
again.

Just extracting this info into the help pages would probably help, since
people are NOT interested in customizing rc files when they have never
seen te program running, since they simply can't know what they should
customize.

> to look at it. Hiding this information would not improve anything.

Absolutely true. But right now this information is quite hidden to most
users. The dialog is great and much better than a html help page for
example, but it's presented at a time people will have no clue what it
means.