On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 10:01:26PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> One of the ideas that I believe Sven raised on irc, was that there
> should be a minimal and trivial interface to the PDB that is not
> based on any particular language but just consists of:
>      gimp_foo -bar 3 -baz yellow

Well, we ship a scheme engine already, so writing and including yet
another syntax parser seems kind of silly.
> Having such an interface to the PDB has several advantages:
>      1. It would take care of the quoting problems from the shell.
>         E.g.
>           gimp -nodisplay -cmd "my_logo -text foo -bg_color yellow" \
>           -cmd "save_image -img 1 -filename foo.png"
There's still quoting problems for strings with spaces in them, parsing
arbitrary colors, etc.

>      2. We could easily do recording and save into this format.

Recording into scheme syntax is pretty easy.
>      3. The format could easily be translated into script-fu,
>         python, guile, etc.

No translation needed for script-fu (and probably not guile either), and
python, perl, etc. already have many implementations of lispy type syntax
parsers, which is nicer than writing a whole new one.