On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 00:24 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Basically what you ask for is not logical. Currently there's exactly
> one File Open dialog and of course it remembers the folder it was last
> being used in. There is however a File Save dialog for each image and
> it comes up with the folder preselected that this image lives in. Now
> if I open an image from folder A and save it to folder B, why should
> the file selection dialogs of all other images (whether they are
> already opened or not) switch to folder B now? There is actually no
> good reason for such a behaviour and I expect it to cause quite some
> confusion. But I am open for your view on this...
I agree. Say I'm working in a web design project and the files I would
probably  put in /home/gezim/projects/web/. So when I go to
http://www.sxc.hu/ (great site for royalty free stock images, BTW) find
my images, save them to /home/gezim/projects/web/ . Then I would open
GIMP open ~/projects/web/flower.jpg manipulate it then guess what? I
would save it back in the directory that I opened it from
(/home/gezim/projects/web) . If you don't do this, then you're just
disorganized and GIMP can't help you with that. When you write something
to a harddrive you should (I do anyway) make sure that the location
you're putting it in is logical, so it wouldn't need to be changed.