On Thursday 23 June 2005 07:28, Gezim Hoxha wrote:
> Say I'm working in a web design project and the files I
> would probably  put in /home/gezim/projects/web/. So when I go to
> http://www.sxc.hu/ (great site for royalty free stock images, BTW)
> find my images, save them to /home/gezim/projects/web/ . Then I would
> open GIMP open ~/projects/web/flower.jpg manipulate it then guess
> what? I would save it back in the directory that I opened it from
> (/home/gezim/projects/web). If you don't do this, then you're just
> disorganized and GIMP can't help you with that.

Disagree. You're just organised in a different way to Sven and Gezim.

> When you write something to a harddrive you should (I do anyway)
> make sure that the location you're putting it in is logical, so it
> wouldn't need to be changed.

True, but I'm having trouble coming to terms with the idea that your way
of organising things is the only one that exists.

I usually work from "unprocessed" into "processed" directories, so does
my sister-in-law (who taught herself, so my input isn't a
consideration). My wife doesn't, but would if she felt comfortable
enough about the rest of the computer (she just about lost it trying to
cope with XP's idiosyncrasies a few weeks ago, despite entering that
experience believing that "Windows is easier" than what she was using
(KDE)) _or_ if The GIMP made it easier.

To really underscore the "I am not a voice in the wilderness" point, I
also watched over the shoulder of two different people GIMPing stuff at
LCA2005, and they both worked the same way (one of them grumbled about
it at the time, less after I pointed out that he could make and dispose
of "bookmarks" on the fly).

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia