As far as I know, the Heal tool in Photoshop solves this problem by only
going through the math after you release the mouse button. While you are
painting, the tool works just like the clone tool and just copies from
the source location. Only after you release the mouse button the healing
magic is performed.

OK.  That seems logical.  So during the mouse stroke a region is selected, and after the mouse stroke healing is done on the selected region.  Are there any tools in GIMP right now that follow a similar sequence?  The problem I have is that I'm not sure how to implement this, I just don't know enough GIMP yet :)

Kevin