"I personally, deffinitely prefer the Gimp being a program that always shows
as a single entry in the taskbar that's really my main concern, it's just
easier to manage single entry programs with a multiple applications workflow."

But GIMP 2.7 solve that. Maybe you don't use 2.7. A single entry in
taskbar and when the canvas window is minimized all other utility
windows are minimized too.

Nemes Ioan Sorin