It's an unjustified escalation to think of improved rendering in a new version
as breaking the XCF file format.  The file format would be the same.  It's only
"broken" if you make it so, if you insist on handling the new rendering through
the file format.  It's worth noting, however, that XCF is not meant to be an
archival format.  Granted, there may be users using it archivally, but they can
be considered idiosynchratic and catered for by appropriate warnings about
fixed
functionality, not placed centre stage with upside-down development priorities.

The broken Color mode was reported 4 years ago!  Had the solution been
implemented natively, it would have been available to view, and would likely
have evolved.  There's every chance that it could now be ported to GEGL without
the alpha bug to contend with.

I appreciate this discussion is late in the day - the GEGL route is set, and
we're not so far from 2.8 release.  But undoubtedly, new bugs will be uncovered
after the release.  If at that point there are still arguments put forward in
favour of esoteric considerations, at the expense of essential fixes, then I
assure you I, as an end user, won't keep quiet about it.  I'm going to
challenge
you to furnish the evidence.  Provide us with a sizeable body of users,
preferrably the majority, who agree with your position and are willing to forgo
timely essential fixes for the sake of mainting broken, but familiar rendering.
 If you cannot provide that evidence then I will consider your position to be
willful sabotage and will make the point perfectly clear.

One more thing: let's not allow the energetic momentum of development be
hijacked by a fear that some developers, out of an offended sense of
righteousness, might leave.  More will be gained by ensuring the team is
motivated by a greater sense of serving happy end users.

Charlie