>From Alexandre:
> There are many ways to make yourself  useful for the project.

I'm trying to do just that.

Someone, an end user, emailed me off-list, talking about how they'd be upset
with a new rendering, talking of "lost files".

Let me offer a cheap and simple solution.  Release an incremental update in the
stable branch, bundling a few bug fixes.  The release retains the broken Color
mode.  Users are advised to update to take advantage of the bug fixes, and
there
is no compatibility issue.  However, in the release notes accompanying the
source, there is a new compile option, called for instance
"--with-color-mode-fix".  It is made clear that the option should not be used
by
those who may share their XCF files, because of the new rendering.

Simple, effective, problem solved.

Charlie