On Fri, 2014-01-10 at 15:19 -0500, Helen wrote:
> Ok, I'm trying, but this just doesn't make sense to me.
> You're saying I was never able to see my file after I "save as" to png or
> jpg, in
> prior versions of GIMP.

Helen, I think what's going on here is a question of people using words
differently, or more or less precisely.

None of us can "see" files unless we take apart the computer, get out a
microsocope, and look at the surface of the disk.  No, I'm not being a
smart-ass :-), what I mean is this:

The only way we "see" a file normally is if some program or other shows
it to us.

So when you say a file disappears, or you can't see a file, please tell
us where exactly you were seeing it before - on the deskop? In a gimp
window? On the list of programs at the bottom of your screen?

Then, which buttons exactly did you press in GIMP so that you no longer
saw it? E.g. don't say, "I saved it", say,
In gimp 2.8,
(1) choose file->quit
(2) when the prompt appears, "if you quit you will lose 20 hours of
work", press "save"
(3) now gimp is no longer displaying my file and has gone away.
In gimp 2.6,
(1) choose file->save
(2) select a filename "happyboy.jpg" and press OK
(3) press OK to save the file
(4) GIMP is still displaying the file and the title of the window says
"happyboy.hpg"

In other words tell us exactly what you're doing, in both versions of
gimp, as if you were telling someone else sitting at your desk how to
operate the computer. Then say what you expected to see, what you
actually saw, and what exactly was the difference.

If it's a bug we's like to understand and fix it.

if it's a problem with the manual, or a place where GIMP is harder to
use than it could be, we'd like to know that too.

I love your drawings, by the way.

Liam