> ( Can't work on an image that's now showing on the monitor)

(Is that a typo, e.g. "now" or "not"?  I need to make sure how I'm reading
the sentence before responding.  And yes, I've seen people actually make
that specific typo before.)

Yes, sorry.   Should say "not" showing.

>  - Duplicate the image (Image > Duplicate).  This blocks you from
accidentally saving the resized version over the XCF file.

this may be the best work around for me.

> 5 - You are done!  There is no need to re-open the PNG file.

Well, this may or may not be true.   When, six months or a year later I
want to look at a .png (check the resolution, see whether it
needs to be sharpened/signed/whatever) then I do, sometimes want to look at
(and maybe adjust in some way) a  png image.   I've
been spoiled with the ability to do that in 2.6 (open -- see that it's what
I want--close) but I'm just going to have to get used to another
way.    And the comments I get about not really having an image that I
think I have (several people say variations of that) is completely
over my head.  And wonder whether it has a practical significance or just a
semantic one.

Thank you for the ideas.

--
Helen Etters