On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 12:38:02PM -0600, Roland Hordos wrote:
> >> can you proove your claim?
> Sigh.  Try googling "is gimp a derogatory term".  If you read the
> sources at the first 10 hits and you still don't understand, then try
> the next 15000.

That is not proof.

Search for just plain "gimp" on any major search engine, and the
majority of the links refer to this project.

In fact, changing the name of the project would hurt adoption more, by
giving up search engine presence, and having a fairly easy to remember
four letter name as a search term to begin with.

> Sven, coincidentally while I began to read your response I received a
> call from an engineering user here wanting to edit a scanned document
> with Paint or Photoshop.  I can't justify the cost of photoshop for 100
> desktops and paint is useless.  I would install the GIMP software for
> him in a heartbeat if I didn't worry that he might be offended by the
> reference.  Any corporate business environment has, or should have, this
> sense of decency.

Most corporate business environments would be in violation of their
terms of governence by rejecting potential cost-savings solely on
nebulous claims such as this. You probably should be reprimanded for
this behavior.

-Yosh