I don't expect the name will ever be changed, and that won't stop
me from using or promoting GIMP.

I just wish there was less defensiveness about it. Clearly it offends
a number of people. Trying to explain that away, or establish there
is something wrong with anyone who would take offense, is not

I would recommend a page (if there isn't already one) at gimp.org which
addresses the name issue and explains the technical and other reasons
why it won't change. If it was a wiki page, people would have an outlet for
their opinions.

On 9/30/06, Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, [ISO-8859-1] Raphaël Quinet wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:00:25 -0500, Eric P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Personally, I think the name should change not because I find GIMP
> > derogatory but because I think a name that somewhat identified (even
> > vaguely) what sphere the software is used it would be a boon.>
> > Inkscape is an excellent name in my opinion.  It is somewhat
> > ambiguous, but you definitely know that software named Inkscape must
> > have something to do with the artistic sphere.  That's all you really
> > need.
> I agree.  Among the various arguments about changing GIMP's name, this
> is probably the only one that makes a bit of sense.

> This is not a problem for those who know that "GIMP" actually stands for
> "GNU Image Manipulation Program" but those who do not know GIMP yet will
> probably not know the expansion of the acronym either.

This is why it is so important for things like the release notes and other
promotional material to talk about the GNU Image Manipulation Program
(GIMP) making sure to first explain the name before using the acronym.

> Besides, the acronym is rarely expanded in casual talks and most users
> see only "GIMP" in the splash screen and in the window titles so they
> may not even know what this stands for.

> If you find a name that meets all these criteria and would probably be
> immediately adopted by a marketing team if GIMP were a commercial
> product, then keep in mind that you would still have 90% chance to
> have the name rejected because some developers simply do not want to
> change the name.  With that in mind, I wish you good luck...

I wanted to side step the issue of picking a better or different name,
since it is impossible to please everyone and the original gimp is
unlikely to change.  Instead I had hoped to tackle the issue of providing
infrastructure to make it possible.  That would also mean there would be
no excuse for further discussion until someone provided the necessary
patches and infrastructure to make the name cleanly reconfigurable,
something I would think you might want to encourage.

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com
Open Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org