For a class, I don't know, but for serious photo work, Photoshop is
incredibly more advanced.
Some exampes:

Color:
- support for more than 8 bits/color/pixel (my scanners have 16)
- support for color profiles (.icc profiles - how are you going to
profile a printer otherwise?)
- support for color spaces (sRGB, but also Adobe98, etc etc)

Basic Processing:
- Is able to dither when converting according to a curve or a color
profile.  This avoids color banding.
- You can have adjustment layers, thus postponing both the decision,
and the processing.  Especially if you work with 8 bits/pixel, it
makes quite a bit of difference.

Fancy Algorithms:
There is a remarkable number of fancy algorithms built into Photoshop;
some examples are:
- Good algorithms for correcting lens aberrations, color fringing,
lens blur, and more.
- Good algorithms for collating images into a panoramic.
- Good algorithms for producing extended dynamic range images.
- Good algorithms for converting from one colorspace to the other
- Good algorithms for shadow/highlight correction
and the list goes on and on, even before counting the plug-ins many
professionals developed.

I love the interface of Gimp, and I love linux and open source
software, but it's Photoshop's management of color, and professional
algorithms, that in the end make me go to Photoshop; Photoshop is a
much superior tool for serious photography.

The problem is that it is the very heart of Gimp which is limited in
its capabilities, so one cannot fix it in a lightweight way.  If there
is no notion of color space in an image... well!
I am periodically torn between going to develop for cinepaint (at
least they got the color spaces and profiles correct, one can just
redo some algorithms), or rewriting a new tool for scratch in a decent
language like Ocaml (I really have come to dislike C).  However, in
the end, as I lack time even for doing what I should be doing for my
job, I do nothing, and I use mostly Photoshop for photo editing.

Luca