On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 11:17 -0800, JC Dill wrote:

> The behavior and use of the Alt key changed between 2.2 and 2.4, without
> providing any way for users to select or configure the older behavior in
> Gimp.  That is showing disregard for your established user base.  You
> may have good reasons to decide the new behavior is "better" but you
> should provide a way (within the software itself) for the user to
> configure the older behavior  (in Gimp) rather than force them to go
> back to a prior version to use the software they way they have been
> using it, or to change how they use the software.  This is basic
> backwards compatibility.

Adding such an option adds a considerable amount of complexity to the
code. We would have to maintain the old and the new code which means
doubling the amount of code and thus doubling the chance for bugs and
doubling the effort needed to maintain it. Sorry, but that is not an

We try hard to improve GIMP and that requires making changes to the user
interface. Of course such changes have an impact on established
work-flows and we know that. But if we want to move forward, then that
is not avoidable.