>???  Obviously, the same as when I click repeatedly along the path...
>Imagine "select color" with "add to selection" and small threshold...

 if we
>> know what it is that you are trying to accomplish.
>E.g., select colors close to any one in the path.

I'm equally confused as you are, but that's probably me, I'm not a GIMP
expert (yet).

You say you want to select a color close to any one in the path, but a path
isn't a color. ???
All I can think of is if when you stroke a path with say the foreground
colour you get a line of that color where the path is.
So if you would stroke the path with a selection tool you would just select
the path, so why not just use path to selection.

My apologies if I get it all wrong, like I said, still working on becoming an
expert. ;-)

jolie S (via www.gimpusers.com)