saulgo...@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com wrote (in part)  (on
2009-09-15 at 10:57):
 Your script would have to manually traverse the paths. I have written

 a Script-fu which does this for Fuzzy selections; the command is

 added to the context menu raised by right-clicking on a path in the

 Paths Dialog. The script can be retrieved from

http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/Temp/sg-fuzzy-select-along-path.scm

Saul - interesting script but it seems to take a very long time.
Just to see what the difference it would make, I drew an arbitrary path through an image and ran your script against it, copied the selected region and pasted it to a new layer ... then on the same path, using fuzzy select tool (with same parameters) with Shift key down (additive select) clicked manually along the path where by eye I detected changing colors and again copied resulting selection to a new layer ... then set difference mode to compare what had been selected by your script vs what I had selected "manually".

two layers were almost identical but "manual" took a fraction of the time.
Next tried a complex path (the result of a Fuzzy Select Tool followed by selection to path). This took a **very** long time and eventually stalled - per Process Explorer GIMP was consuming 1.25 GB of memory :-(

Suggestion: Would it be possible as you "walk" the path, to compare each pixel to prior and if they are the "same" to within the threshold tolerance skip that pixel and proceed to next? My theory being that if two adjacent pixels on a path are within "threshold tolerance" of each other then fuzzy select on either is the same as fuzzy select on both.

--
Regards ... Alec   (bura...@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burg...@skype)