> hi there

> don't know what kind of data you want to add to your pdf files, but

Different stuff. Pixmap images, vectorized ones... One of the important
things is that netscape does a crappy job in printing images, you can't
have resolutions greater than 72 dpi, is it?

Gimp in turn does a crappy job in setting text, if I want reasonably good
resolution in the text too, the filesize will be totally unacceptable.

> what about Ghostscript? it hink it does a good job in converting *.ps
> into a lot of formats, includiding pdf.

Maybe. I honestly don't know.
All I've seen is that it seems to do roughly what it's supposed to
do. Umm...or, ok, I haven't touched Ghostscript, I was talking about

ps2pdf converts raw ps to pdf, but for example, you get no proper
a4-format or anything, the ps is usually stripped down without margins to
the largest object to be printed. Also, I get the feeling that ps2pdf
doesn't use _any_ of the extended features I believe are present in pdf,
thus does a crappy job. I don't even know if it's possible to control
resolution in ps-embedded pixmaps, but I suppose it is, since it is in
LaTeX anyway...

How does Ghostscript work?

But still presents the problem of producing a nice ps then. Typesetting in
LyX *shiver* or LaTeX _is_ possible. But it's not nice. Yes, what I'm
looking for _is_  something like Illustrator/PageMaker/Distiller...It's
aiming very high, but sad as it is, from your replies, nothing such seems
to be present under linux (for free at least), only hard-to-use, crappy,
half-way solutions are?

I *can* live with that, don't misinterpret me, I was just pushing it to
see if maybe someone maybe knew better than me and could give us all some

Thank you all.

"...you look strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark."

           ICQ# 2357535

Version: 3.12
N? o?>++++ K? w-- !O M- V? PS++(@) PE- Y? PGP?>++ t->++ 5?>+++ X+ R-