searching in the direction of illustrator i would like to promote "sketch"
again. it's certainly not the perfect tool with all functions like some of
the classic window/mac stuff, but it's quit promissing. it can combine
pixel/vector graphics with simple text etc. it uses layers and it has an pdf
export filter.

perhaps that's what your looking for?

http://sketch.sourceforge.net/

have fun with linux