Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm still not sure what the fundemental
differences are between the 2.5 options above.

The following appears to be the case:

   - GXT superseed's the GWT-Ext (as GWT-Ext is no longer under active
   development), so really this concludes that GWT-Ext is not a viable option.
   - Both GXT and Smart GWT are pure gwt (no underlying native JS library,
   so expect equivalent speed/performance from the GWT compiler).
   - GXT's listener/update/event model is vastly different to the pattern
   used in GWT 2. (at least for GXT 2.1.0). I don't know about SmartGWT :/
   - SmartGWT's look and feel is slightly more advanced than GXT's

Conclusion: None of the above really scream "*use this one over the other*".
SmartGWT might have the edge (if there is one).

--AH

Additionally: both have WEIRD commercial licenses! I didn't want to talk
about them... but they're probably the deciding factor here now anyway.

   - GXT's commercial license is "all features" but you only get the
   incremental X.* updates (i.e. 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 but not 3.0).
   - SmartGWT's commercial licensing appears to be limited on feature set.
   How useful SmartGWT's widgets are without the complete featureset (i.e.
   databindings e.t.c) remains a mystery and therefor a risk.