On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Andrew Hughes <ahhug...@gmail.com> wrote:

>    - Both GXT and Smart GWT are pure gwt (no underlying native JS library,
>    so expect equivalent speed/performance from the GWT compiler).
>
> No, GXT is pure GWT, but SmartGWT is a GWT wrapper around the JS library,
though they claim they've spent a lot of time on performance hand-tuning so
that's harder to gauge.

> Additionally: both have WEIRD commercial licenses! I didn't want to talk
> about them... but they're probably the deciding factor here now anyway.
>
>    - GXT's commercial license is "all features" but you only get the
>    incremental X.* updates (i.e. 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 but not 3.0).
>    - SmartGWT's commercial licensing appears to be limited on feature set.
>    How useful SmartGWT's widgets are without the complete featureset (i.e.
>    databindings e.t.c) remains a mystery and therefor a risk.
>
> This does give a challenge for SmartGWT since you can't demo all the
versions and it's not always clear which features are available to which
when you look at the myriad examples.  It seems easy to demo LGPL and the
Enterprise and know that what you have is what you'll get and nothing more
or less.  For us, the databindings likely would have been desirable, but
since it requires a commercial, it was hard to build both a client-server
solution that was also open source as it would make use of components that
require a commercial license.  Of course, that's not a typical problem
unless you dual license your product too.

It is a shame that any GUI library comes with runtime licenses as you have
to go back pretty far in software engineering to find a UI scheme that could
require licenses for deployed systems.  GWT will likely get there over time
since I think they'll find supporting more enterprise needs will be a boost
for their platform.