I've been shut down for nearly 2 years now. To add insult to injury, I
can't unsubscribe from the mailing list and my filters still let some
messages get through. TF2 community servers are pretty much toasted,
especially those of us who ran what the Steam community and Valve allowed
for so openly: custom maps with custom gameplay. Quickplay sapped custom
map traffic because no fresh players used the browser anymore. They didn't
know what was out there.
Why was it done? The explanation given was that it would simplify and
streamline the experience for the player. Why was that necessary when how
many people before that had gotten along just fine with the server browser?
A number in the 7 digit range? 8 digit range? And then to have players
funneled into servers that are unmoderated, with blatant performance
issues. And this improved the player experience? I would call that
"massively homogenizing" the player experience. The only variation is what
slew of obscenities and micspam they are listening to that day.

I've been waiting for them to finish killing community servers for a while
now, the handful of you whom have held on for this long, I admire your
dedication even in the face of what is clearly communicated as making you
unwelcome. I've said my piece, and has been historically shown, Valve
policy will remain unchanged.
It's sad what Valve is doing to communities. Slowly but surely they are
killing off CS:GO community servers with each new Operation as well. I feel
terrible for you guys.