Am Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:00:43 -0500 (CDT)
schrieb "Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabr...@teuton.org>:

> Hi guys,
>
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Carles Perarnau wrote:
> >
> > My view is to stick with the UNIX philosophy: a set of simple tools
> > which do just what they're intended to, and then are put together with
> > pipes (jack) when needed.
>
> I've actually been a little torn on this issue... whether to go in a
> monolithic, all-in-one direction -- or to go in a more modular direction.
>
> Without rambling on and on... I'll cut to the chase: for the modular
> approach to be powerful in a live setting requires excellent session
> management.  Currently this isn't avail. in Linux.  LASH is an attempt,
> but has not been able to deliver.
it looks like Ralf Mardorfs LADI will bring light into the darkness.

> To achieve this -- it requires:
>
>      * Someone who has clout with other Linux Audio devs.
>
>      * A stable, but live API.  (As in, it doesn't get
>        abandoned)
>
>      * Buy-in from other Linux Audio devs -- to add it
>        to their applications.
>
>      * An API that makes it easy for the Linux Audio
>        devs to do the Right Thing when adding it to their
>        programs.
>
> This is no small feat.  However, part of me wants to participate in
> tackling *this* problem instead of making an all-in-one live workstation.
>
> Peace,
> Gabriel

i feel the same torn on this.
maybe a good thing is to make both. best possible conditions for modular
setups(jack midi LADI Lash ... ). and nice working
build in features to make h2 more powerfully. what not means that h2 is at
least a daw. a good example here is renoise. its basically a easy to use
tracker.
but it included great functions to make tracking really professional.
nevertheless renoise is mostly a tracker and not a daw or whatever.
wolke