I have a copy of 7-Zip 9.20 and it clearly states -- and my experience confirms
-- that it supports both compressing to and decompressing from the "zip"
format. From the 7-Zip documentation:

ZIP
7-Zip creates ZIP compatible archives. 7-Zip supports the following ZIP
compression methods:

0 - Store
8 - Deflate
9 - Deflate64
12 - BZip2
14 - LZMA
98 - PPMd
1 - Shrink (decompression only)
6 - Implode (decompression only)
Files compressed with other ZIP compression methods can't be extracted by the
current version of the 7-Zip. But these supported methods are the most popular
today, and therefore 7-Zip can decompress most ZIP archives. To extract files
compressed with non-supported methods you must use some other ZIP utility.

7-Zip supports the Zip64 extension of ZIP format.

The current version of 7-Zip doesn't support Zip multivolume archives.

Charles