On 19 September 2016 at 14:31, Kevin Minerley <k60ek...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is working as designed.  If indeed it's the sk4t-4949-xx
> deliverable, it is large.  As a matter of fact, were
> it to be be put on a dual-layer DVD it wouldn't fit (at least in this pass).

The file as I just downloaded it is about 1GB (1,118,616.064 bytes
according to Windows). This would fit comfortably on even a
single-layer DVD. It isn't even all that much bigger than a CD. Maybe
IBM has smaller DVDs than most of us...

But in any case I have a good deal of trouble seeing why this is relevant.

> Most modern zip utilities work against it.  Personally, I use 7-zip but when
> manufactured it's the same zip utilities we have
> been using since the days of physical media.

Really? I think of Winzip as *the* standard commercial Windows-based
zip utility, and it doesn't accept it. Neither does the Windows
built-in zip handling in Windows explorer. Neither does the java
command. And the reason is clear: it's not a zip file. The first two
bytes of the file are X'377ABCAF' or ASCII "7z..". The zip file
specification
https://support.pkware.com/display/PKZIP/Application+Note+Archives
requires that a zip file start with a header of X'504B0304' or ASCII
"PK..", no matter what the compression method within the file.

So opening this file pretty much requires that 7-zip or some other
compatible decompressor be installed. If that's really what IBM
intends, then the file should not be marked as .zip .

Tony H.