From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 3:19 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: k4t4949b (September 2016 refresh of the z/OS 2.2 manuals)

On 19 September 2016 at 14:31, Kevin Minerley <k60ek...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is working as designed.  If indeed it's the
> sk4t-4949-xx deliverable, it is large.  As a matter of fact, were it to be be
> put on a dual-layer DVD it wouldn't fit (at least in this pass).

The file as I just downloaded it is about 1GB (1,118,616.064 bytes according to
Windows). This would fit comfortably on even a single-layer DVD. It isn't even
all that much bigger than a CD. Maybe IBM has smaller DVDs than most of us...

But in any case I have a good deal of trouble seeing why this is relevant.

> Most modern zip utilities work against it.  Personally, I use 7-zip
> but when manufactured it's the same zip utilities we have been using since
> the days of physical media.

Really? I think of Winzip as *the* standard commercial Windows-based zip
utility, and it doesn't accept it. Neither does the Windows built-in zip
handling in Windows explorer. Neither does the java command. And the reason is
clear: it's not a zip file. The first two bytes of the file are X'377ABCAF' or
ASCII "7z..". The zip file specification
https://support.pkware.com/display/PKZIP/Application+Note+Archives
requires that a zip file start with a header of X'504B0304' or ASCII "PK..", no
matter what the compression method within the file.

So opening this file pretty much requires that 7-zip or some other compatible
decompressor be installed. If that's really what IBM intends, then the file
should not be marked as .zip .