I have heard Java characterized as "write once, debug everywhere."

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:42 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ABO Automatic Binary Optimizer

<snip>

OK, about testing. For perspective, for over two decades (!) Java has
compiled/compiles bytecode *every time* a Java class is first instantiated.
The resulting native code is model optimized depending on the JVM release
level's maximum model optimization capabilities or the actual machine model,
whichever is lower. Raise your hand if you're performing "full regression
testing"(*) before every JVM instantiation. :-) That's absurd, of course.
I'm trying to think how that would even be technically possible.
It'd at least be difficult.

<snip>