Umm...SpringSource is really backing Grails (which happens to already be built on Spring). Groovy is a JSR, and so is JRuby. JRuby development is also being done by Sun engineers - so I'm not sure what your point is. FWIW, Groovy was originally "invented" by James Strachan...who's neither a SpringSource or Sun guy, to say the least.

The thing that you are missing in you're quantitative analysis below is the percentage of happy developers in both camps. I would assert, but you don't have to believe me, that there are many more happy Ruby devers than Java devers. Not only that - but, the issue of quality comes into play some where too. I won't provide an assertion here - but, it is a relative notion.

Don't get me wrong there is a plenty of ego on both sides of the fence here. It is imperative that you can see past this to the real value - developmental efficiency. There's no way Java can win - based on its code, build, deploy/run/test, code, build deploy/run/test cycle. Groovy helps...but, as soon as there is any level of complexity you'll be burdened with pure Java once again.

If for no other reason than Sun is a turd, Java is dead. Open sourcing Sun's version of the JVM and platform has done nothing for ensuring its longevity. Only said with a slight grin.