Lots of responses to lots of points - its much easier down the pub ;)

First of all, Steve - I hope your wife is OK and its nothing serious.

Then the Met and the mayor: no leadership, who is handling these "riots"
(looting without the rioting as far as we see from afar), Superindentants?
Divisional comanders? No wonder there's copy cats springing uo all over the
place. Who is in charge? And I hope it's not someone who has accepted bribes
("apparently substantiated") from any media group who quite frankly have a
vested interest in selling papers during August.

As for personal responsibility. Yes. But it works both ways. You have to
realise that someone may well be better off looting a Dixons than not
looting a Dixons. Where is that person's responsibility? Treat him as a
scumbag and he'll always riot given the opportunity, bring him into the
system and he won't.

Thatcher's ultimate response to Brixton & Toxteth & BW Farm was to rein in
the police (repeal of "Sus", racial profiling of Police action etc) and to
throw money at those disaffected communities. It worked. The rolling back of
those efforts under Blair & Brown (especially including many more police
powers) has exposed the limits. The lack of current leadership has made the
problem worse.

What do you do? Try and make things better for everyone? Or not?

Damian

PS Mark - respect appreciated and returned whole heartedly - shame we're not
down the pub ;)