From: 'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
Sent: Aug 8, 2017 9:46 AM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
Subject: Re: making a tap for the 5/8-4 acme thread

hi gavin... joe biunno here...from my research, what they would need to know is 1) how many flutes? four is most often the norm, sometimes three. would not do two as the tap might go in at an angle  2) type of tap...starter tap, plug tap, bottoming tap, and there might be others, I am not sure, LOL!. a starting tap is the most common and what is called for in this situation  3) length/height of piece to be threaded. here, they are trying to determine if you are threading a 1/8" thick piece or a 3" piece.  I would just say the piece is 1" thick +/-. making a thread into nylon/plastic is very easy on any tap  4) they will not need to know the depth of the thread. this is determined by the size of the requested tap, in this case an acme thread  5) and a right hand thread, of course...hope that covers it...joe biunno