On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Philip Newton wrote:
> Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > the host (according to RFC1123) must match
> > /^([a-z0-9]+)((.[a-z0-9-]+)*(.[a-z0-9]+))?$/i
> > which doesn't really give you support for hostnames in those many
> > characters.
> Unless you translate them to an acceptable set, which is, I believe, where
> domain i18n is heading. The question is in which algorithm to choose for
> translation.

Right. Which is evil and horrid.

nslookup randomkanji.com

euch.

> > > will take *years* to replace all that's out there with new
> > > versions.  Look at how slowly crypto use is spreading, or
> > > how little-used IPv6 is.  IMNSHO,
> > Ah, but on the other hand look at the growth curve for the
> > internet. It *will* pick up.
> It'll pick up when Microsoft implements such stuff in its operating system
> and/or in Internet Exploder, and not much before. Wanna bet?

Uh huh.

> AFAIK, Solaris has IPv6 in its newest incarnations. I still don't see much
> of it around.

I think in this case it'll need to be in many more routers than it
currently is....

> Probably like the explosion of TCP/IP, which (outside of universities etc.)
> really only came with Win95 (modulo Trumpet Winsock).

Sure.

MBM

--
Matthew Byng-Maddick   Home: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  +44 20  8980 5714  (Home)
http://colondot.net/   Work: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> +44 7956 613942  (Mobile)