On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 03:19:46PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> > Wouldn't that be rather wasteful? After all, population is distributed
> > unevenly. You have some cities with lots of inhabitants, and then you have
> > rural areas with a much smaller population density. Does that mean that in
> > rural areas, you (a) have an area code covering a *huge* area, or (b) waste
> > lots of phone numbers? As I see, it's one or the other.
>
> What's wrong with (a)?  It already happens in (eg) the Highlands, and IIRC
> Northern Ireland has just one area code now for the entire province.*
>
> * - BTW, does that mean that all calls within NI are now charged at local
> rate?  Can belfast.pm enlighten me on this?

Do you really think we'd get that lucky? No we get hit with the charge for a
national call even though it's all in the one area code. They just divide it
with codes for each area, so Belfast in 02890 whilst Lisburn is 02892.

So like London we get hit with a 2nd or 3rd change in the last 10 years
and get no real benefit from it.

I'll just go and mutter about this in the corner.

Steve