Dear David,

Thanks for this; it is worth watching the *whole video* . . . I'm not sure Chapdelaine felt he was being needlessly bullied, but there are many similar stories from other (non-filmed) masterclasses. I've also talked to others from this same masterclass who felt that Segovia was rather complacent and inattentive to their playing--maybe after seeing what happened here they expected more fire. "Hmm . . . fine . . . next" was his attitude to them . . . Maybe they played too much like him?

As a teacher, I'm not sure this is the best approach to get across to students, but when they come into a masterclass just wanting to play for someone and not expecting to actually learn anything, maybe that's just what happens . . . sort of what Michael says afterwards.

Gary
--
Dr. Gary R. Boye
Professor and Music Librarian