> Why are people still using Windows?  My firm gets along without Gates just
> fine.

I use Windows, almost all of my colleagues use Windows. I know of 1 colleague
who uses Linux - he is very computer savvy, sets up his own system, hacks LaTeX
classes, and is not interested in using LyX -- he manages fine with his own
set-up. Many LaTeX users use alternative tools (TeXnicCenter, etc.).

--

"Why are people still using Windows?"

Well, fact is: our IT infrastructure is so tied up into Windows based tools,
that if the choice comes between Windows and LyX, it is LyX that will sink --
our management thinks that Word is just fine... I have no problems with LyX
developers preferring another OS (ref: statement that none of the developers
use Windows). But if people associated with developing a software tool goes
public with opinions like “why on earth do people still use Windows”, that
would make it impossible to advocate the use of that software to Windows users.

--

Regarding the delay of LyX 2.3.0 for Windows -- v 2.2.3 serves me fine, so I
can wait. Still, the reason for the problem is not entirely clear to me.

* Yes, I understand that there is a problem with MikTeX in that MikTeX must be
updated for some technical reason.

* What is not clear is why it is a problem to update MikTeX. My MikTeX console
says[cid:image001.jpg@01D3EAA7.E33844B0]

  *   Is there a newer MikTeX version?
  *   Is the problem that a (possible) newer version will not be backwards
compatible?
  *   If I can update MikTeX to the latest version, install LyX v. 2.3.0, and
face no problem of backwards compatibility, then I don’t see any problem.

BL