> One idea I had was to implement something corresponding to the "Next
> Style" option in LibreOffice styles. So, e.g., if you are in a Frame
> environment and you hit <Return>, then LyX would know NOT to make the next
> line also a Frame, but instead to revert to Standard

Well, this is exactly what Alt+Return does. But let me repeat: Frame _does_
make most sense here. Note that the style is called "Frame", not "Frame
Title". I do not understand why a nested Standard paragraph would be
required here.

(and perhaps we could also have a layout option that told LyX to increase
> depth for that new layout).

Yes. But the logic will be not easy to figure.

Jürgen