Gretchen Summers wrote:

I installed EndItAll, and the first night the PC shut down normally. The next night, it didn't. So, I have been using EndItAll each night
since. Yesterday, I launched EndItAll to see what programs were
running. Most I didn't recognize, and I'm leary about just deleting
programs when I don't know anything about them. I did delete a couple
that I suspect were probably problem apps. Last night, I was able to
shut down without launching EndItAll. We'll see if that continues.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

While its a minor improvement, Enditall was a good suggestion Mugzie, your possibly masking a serious problem.
I would seriously consider running Hijackthis, Greggs post, and posting the log here or atleast consider rereading the use of the Task Manager and finding a site that lists vaild startup programs and processes, most invaild entries will show with a quick Google search for their .exe.

When using the Task Manager (processes tab) you *end* a process, you do not delete anything. Most windows programs can be identified by name, early run processors are easily found on many sites, a site like this random one let you search the name of a process. http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm. Under WinNT you can access the task manager by right- clicking the task bar and selecting the taskmanager. Almost word for word with the last line of this page. ;)
http://www.greatis.com/appdata/ may help you out, another random, better set out for my eyes.

My concern is you have a win32 nasty, a virus scan, spyware or informed hackthis should find and remove/inform you, from there you should be able to continue or repair. Or you have a system/network error, either way it needs fixing not masking, your use in "deleting' these tasks should give you the confidence to try a little more.

Windows Restore is a tool, I'll stop there. All tools can be useful, if a system is having trouble disable System Restore and run your scans, once you have a clean system use system restore to backup and then make changes, its becomes a useful tool at this point until the next nasty comes along..........

As a side note I have updated my 6 y/o PC from ME (which I found both more usable and enjoyable than 98se) to XP, finally. This box was a 600mhz, upped to 1100 in the way macs cant be and is very happily running the updated OS. 1) EndItAll will hopefully convince the machine to power down? (I'm stuck with the old "Its now safe blah blah, how cute. :) 2) A nasty trojon, coreflood was found and removed thanks to hijackthis so thanks for starting the thread. 3) Did Gregg ever find a decent defrag program for XP? goodness its slow.

This box runs with 20 processes, including Norton 2003 and a firewall so thats 15 without basic protection, please dont mention XP's builtin FW. Each machine is different, a score in the 30's suggests a prunable load if nothing else.

cheers.