As much as I would like this thread to die, had to point out..  yes, probably
gmail does a great job of inbound spam protection, had an ESP recently tell me
40% of all addresses they engaged with were gmail addresses, so it behooves
them to do well, wish as much attention was paid to outbound, including
business class spammers and marketers using gmail, and of course the recent
spike in hacking/brute force attacks from google cloud instances, the original
problem of hosting on a provider that doesn’t do well at keeping net blocks
clean, will not, and should not disappear.

Yes, the poor person who signed up without knowing that the whole world has
already made up their mind about the reputation of traffic from the network he
finds his IP on might seem unfair, the only way these hosting companies will
clean up their act, is when customers talk with their wallet, and go elsewhere.
But in reality when any IPv4 address is worth $100 bucks a year, and climbing
some companies won’t care, as long as they keep them “in use” until someone
buys them will be a problem.

So don’t kill the messengers, or expect things to change, simply  google for
providers which care about their reputation and use them for email services
people want, but don’t try to change people’s minds when you send
communications people don’t want, and let’s move on to more important things in
the world...

-sip- one more bowl of hot saki, and plane trip at 7am to Vegas to help deal
with much bigger problems so cheers all, don’t bother responding to comments on
list as “thread is dead” to me ;)

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 18:29:02 -0700
Brandon Long via mailop  wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Michael Orlitzky via mailop <
> mailop@mailop.org> wrote:.
> [snip]
>
>> They don't care if you or anyone else can send/receive mail, because
>> that's not how they make money. You're not going to convince them to
>> care, and so long as they don't, your problems are only going to get
>> worse. No one's going to tell you how to fix *this* issue because there
>> is no solution -- that's why you're getting the next best thing, namely
>> advice to switch providers and pray that Google doesn't feel like
>> blocking your new host, too.
>>

> It seems like Gmail wouldn't last long as an email provider if no one could
> send/receive email
> to it.
>
> Instead, many folks seem to think that we do a really good job with
> handling spam and delivery.
> Which isn't to say there isn't room for improvement, of course, and we need
> to stay on top of
> it, we can't just rest on our laurels.
>
> The other option is to complain to your hosting provider.  The reputation
> of your netblock is still
> getting worse, though it's not a high volume problem.  Your provider
> probably has a mail relay you
> can use that they can de-spam, and so keep a better reputation... a quick
> look shows OVH's relays
> have higher reputation than the IP discussed here.
>
> Brandon

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."