On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 4:36 AM Michael Orlitzky via mailop <
mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> On 10/14/19 9:29 PM, Brandon Long via mailop wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 3:54 PM Michael Orlitzky via mailop
> > <mailop@mailop.org <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>> wrote:.
> > [snip]
> >
> >     They don't care if you or anyone else can send/receive mail, ...
> >

> > It seems like Gmail wouldn't last long as an email provider if no one
> > could send/receive email to it.
> >

> I don't believe that either (it's right out of the EEE playbook), but
> it's not quite what I said. I said "Google doesn't care," and for that
> the proof is in the pudding.
>
> We've been delivering mail to gmail all day every day since it was born.
> Bazillions of messages over however many years. Had thousands of
> delivery/spam problems (on both ends) that the world is better off
> having resolved. And yet, after all those years, messages, and problems
> -- you're the closest thing to a real human "gmail support" person that
> I've ever encountered. Even so, the best you can do is to tell this guy
> that perhaps maybe if he potentially switches hosting providers then
> probably in all likelihood it could fix his issue in theory with any luck.
>
> So while you personally seem like a nice dude and I know you're trying
> to help, the fact that you ultimately can't (and that begging on mailop
> is tier 1 support in the first place) just cements my impression that
> Google as an organization doesn't care.

Given the denominator involved, that doesn't actually sound that bad.

And what do you think I can do about it?  Whitelist his IP?  And if so, for
how long?
I'm sure he's a nice dude and all, but this is the internet, he could be
anything.

The only thing that actually works in the long term is trying to account
for these
types of issues in the system, and there's no simple fix here.

Otherwise, you're right, Google doesn't do personalized response very much,
and
certainly not for this.   The typical answer is that it doesn't scale...
but that's obviously
not accurate, the problem is that it scales linearly.  Microsoft clearly
tries to staff to
handle postmaster workload at some scale, and I'm curious sometimes how big
a staff
that is.  That said, they also have a much larger paid product than we do,
so maybe the
"sender to consumer" support requests aren't that much more on top of the
"sender to O365"
requests, and they just absorb it.

Brandon