Hey Dave,

A compressor cycling too often is usualy due to a low charge. Can't confirm
without low & high pressures.

Basicaly when there is not enough refrigirant, the low side pressure drops too
low and the low pressure cut off switch turns off the compressor.

Depending on when your system was made there could also be a high pressure cut
off switch as well.

Good luck

George