We really need to understand that we may not understand other societies.
The idea of pre WWII Japanese defying their Emperor was literally
unthinkable.  As mentioned in another post, this was a "death before
dishonor" culture; they literally would have fought to the death (or killed
themselves), soldier and civilian alike, before surrendering.  Surrender was
unthinkable which is why Japanese POWs were so docile:  the unthinkable had
happened.  That's also what made the final surrender possible: the enemy
(us) had developed an unthinkable weapon (nucs) which invalidated all the
old assumptions.

This begs the question:  What do we know about the various Middle Eastern
cultures?  Are we making a mistake in thinking they view the world like we
do?  Certainly some of the folks there seem irrational to us.  Does that
mean they are nuts or does it mean we just don't understand their culture.

I offer the example of the Falklands war.  Both cultures were pretty
similar.  But the Britts could not believe that anyone would take part of
their empire and not expect war.  At the same time, the Argentineans could
not believe anyone would come half-way across the world to fight over a
chunk rock.  Kinda reminds you of the run-up to WWI.