On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 20:30:32 -0700 Clay Monroe via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Not nonsense.  Jim had it.  The fluid expands with rising heat in a
> vessel of a given volume.  Knowing the temperature of the fluid allows
> a person to gauge how full up the millimeter stick said fluid has
> risen.  The wire is marked in millimeters, so one needs know the x
> (temp) and y(volume) to see if you are on the mark of proper level.
> Thus the graph.

Ah, yes, I see it now: I misunderstood what you wrote, as did FT.
We thought you were measuring just temperature and coming up with
the level. That would be nonsense.

> I did not make this up.  This is some Fiat Chrysler magic based on
> Daimler pixie dust

Actually it does not need pixie dust, if you measure BOTH temperature
and depth.

      D = kNT  =>    N = ----
                          kT

   where,  D = Depth of
           k = fudge-factor constant
           N = Number of liters of ATF at standard temperature
           T = Temperature, Kelvins

So, knowing BOTH the temperature and the depth you can calculate the
number of liters of ATF at the standard temperature.

Craig