dmb said to Steve:
You say we ARE our values and we are not free to choose those values. But then
you also say we are not determined by our values. These statements contradict
each other. Like I said, this looks like some kind of value-determinism wherein
the static patterns are the causal forces that determine our thoughts and
actions.

Steve replied:
There indeed would be a contradiction in saying that we do not choose our
values and are also not determined by our values in SOM, but in the MOQ we ARE
our values. So to say that either our values choose or are determined by our
values is nonsense or at best an empty tautology like saying we value our
values.

dmb says:
I did not assume your statement was predicated on SOM. I still think they are
contradictory and logically incoherent even in a world where we are our values.
Please explain how the switch from SOM to the MOQ saves your statements from
being a logical train wreck. How does this switch allow you to say, at the same
time, that we are not free AND we are not determined? Are you NOT saying we are
identical to the values over which we have no choice or control? Do you imagine
that logic does not obtain anymore once you reject the Cartesian self? Does the
rejection of SOM entail the rejection of consistency or clarity of thought?