Hi,

* David T-G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [01-12-09 20:12]:
We had an exchange on this one before, but the more I see it, the less
I like it.

>It all started back in the Usenet news days of 1989 and 1990, before
>Linux had hit the scene (ca 1991, IIRC) and when the web was still a gleam
>in Tim's eye (ca 1991, as I was corrected the last time I provided this
>sort of response).  In the heat of many passionate arguments going back
>and forth, with quoting sometimes ten levels deep, it was easy to lose
>track of who said what when.  To set my comments apart from others'
>I started using %_ (the common notation for a trailing space, just
>like the From_ header).  I had, IIRC, already seen a few folks using |
>and within a few years all manner of quoting (most commonly : :_ | |_ $
>but occasionally % and %_ just like me) abounded.
As others have said, you cannot set your comments apart by using a
different quote sign.
As others have noticed, uniqueness is a Bad Thing in today's email
environment.
I can't really say what went on in Usenet when we were young, but I
can definitely say that your quote sign makes your mails harder to
read. Since you know this, you must should have a very good reason to
use it anyway. Please tell us.

>I've simply kept it since then, and it's relatively unique and still
>recognizable.
When I was young, I spent a lot of time in Fido. I prepended the quote
sign with the initials, just like discussed before.
This was only possible because I and 80% of everyone else used
Crosspoint, which not only knew how to display this thing, but could
also reliably reflow quotes, keeping everything neat even at the 10th
quoting level. (It was also made easier by compulsory clear names.)
This was very useful, since you could see with one look who wrote the
quote (not who quoted it). It was color-coded of course. Nobody had
any problems, because everyone either used Crosspoint or started using
it very soon, so it was accepted standard.

I don't use initials anymore, because most MUAs/editors would break.
You keep your bad habit even though you are fully aware that your
quoting style does the same. This without giving any reason but
personal tradition.

Your mails are as ineffective as outlooked mails with the answer
following the questions.

>Hey, at least mine is easy to match with $quote_regexp!
I don't change my mutt.rc for individuals who are not me.

Thorsten
--
If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
        - Sir Isaac Newton