Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 07:44:54 -500
From: Tom Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silencing the modem?
On 16th Feb 00 at 12.35am, Nettamer List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
NL>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:38:40 +0800 From: "Ronald C.
NL>Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: silencing the
NL>modem?
NL>On 2000-02-15 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
NL>>Well, if it's a Hayes, you couldn't buy one new if you wanted
NL>it. >Maybe in a still shrink-wrapped box from a warehouse
NL>somewhere, the >way I bought my Courier, but not exactly new.
NL> At any rate, yes, >most modems require AC. I can't remember
NL> what the details are, but >the AC is used for some kind of
NL> timebase, I do believe. It's been >that way since the old
NL> Commodore VIC-20 days. They always piped >9vac to the user
NL> port, specifically for modems that plugged in >there.
NL>Actually, you _can_ buy a _new_ Hayes modem, but it's now made
NL>by Zoom because they bought the name and assets (but not the
NL>liabilities) a while back. Zoom has begun to sell
NL>Hayes-branded modems, and since Zoom and Hayes used the same
NL>chipset suppliers at the end, you'll probably find there
NL>isn't much difference between the later Hayes modems and the
NL>ones now being sold by Zoom. I speak from the experience of
NL>having tried a Hayes Accura 56k external and then taking it
NL>back to the store (Best Buy) and getting a Zoom 2949L
NL>external. Both had Lucent chipsets, but the Zoom worked a
NL>little better than the Hayes.
Zoom working better than Hayes? Sounds like Zoom has cleaned up their
act. And, thanks for the news about Zoom taking over the Hayes assets.
Are they also making modems under the Practical Peripherals or Cardinal
names? Or, did they spin those companies off, maybe?
NL>I would be careful, however, to check any packaging to be sure
NL>it's a _new_ Hayes modem. The older ones may not be
NL>supported by Zoom. I'd be leery of trying to flash a Hayes
NL>Accura 56k external with a Lucent chipset with the flash for
NL>the Zoom 2949L, for example, though it might be possible,
NL>since it's the same chipset. The Hayes modems with Rockwell
NL>chipsets were _not_ dual mode, so far as I know, and I doubt
NL>that Zoom would have support for them.
They should. I mean, 3Com has *some* support for Megahertz and
WorldPort, two of USR's old acquisitions. I got a shock, though,
speaking of Megahertz. I got to play with a laptop and a Megahertz
PCMCIA modem. Would you believe that they used a Rockwell chipset? :-)
I thought, having been a USR-owned name, they'd use the same chipset as
the Sportster, at least. Probably why the PCMCIA Courier wasn't
flash-upgradable to x2. That upset a lot of folks, too, let me tell
you. But, hey, just because the name is on it doesn't mean it's
guaranteed to have had that name forever.
NL>If you want to find out what Zoom is doing with Hayes modems,
NL>_new_ and old, you can check www.zoomtel.com. It's a little
NL>hard to read this site with Net-Tamer, so you may find it
NL>easier to use Bobcat, Lynx386, Arachne, or even (perish the
NL>thought) Netscape in Windows.
How about Netscape under OS/2 or Linux? :-) If I'm in a hurry, I'll
boot up OS/2 and run Netscape from there. Arachne sometimes goes away
while downloading and processing images. Speaking of Arachne, though,
stay away from the "Millennium" beta release. It's scary. :-)
NL>One other thing. Unlike the 3Com Courier, which uses an
NL>Xmodem upload to flash, you can't flash a Zoom (and, I
NL>presume, a _new_ Hayes) in DOS, Linux, or even in Win 3.1.
NL>You have to have Win9x. I had to have a little help from a
NL>friend to get mine flashed up to the current version.
Yuck. Give me SDLs, or give me death!
-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
Stamp out idiocy; disband the ACLU!
NTReader v0.18(O)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************