Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:38:40 +0800
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silencing the modem?
On 2000-02-15 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>Well, if it's a Hayes, you couldn't buy one new if you wanted it.
>Maybe in a still shrink-wrapped box from a warehouse somewhere, the
>way I bought my Courier, but not exactly new. At any rate, yes,
>most modems require AC. I can't remember what the details are, but
>the AC is used for some kind of timebase, I do believe. It's been
>that way since the old Commodore VIC-20 days. They always piped
>9vac to the user port, specifically for modems that plugged in
>there.
Actually, you _can_ buy a _new_ Hayes modem, but it's now made by Zoom
because they bought the name and assets (but not the liabilities) a
while back. Zoom has begun to sell Hayes-branded modems, and since Zoom
and Hayes used the same chipset suppliers at the end, you'll probably
find there isn't much difference between the later Hayes modems and the
ones now being sold by Zoom. I speak from the experience of having
tried a Hayes Accura 56k external and then taking it back to the store
(Best Buy) and getting a Zoom 2949L external. Both had Lucent chipsets,
but the Zoom worked a little better than the Hayes.
I would be careful, however, to check any packaging to be sure it's a
_new_ Hayes modem. The older ones may not be supported by Zoom. I'd be
leery of trying to flash a Hayes Accura 56k external with a Lucent
chipset with the flash for the Zoom 2949L, for example, though it might
be possible, since it's the same chipset. The Hayes modems with
Rockwell chipsets were _not_ dual mode, so far as I know, and I doubt
that Zoom would have support for them.
If you want to find out what Zoom is doing with Hayes modems, _new_ and
old, you can check www.zoomtel.com. It's a little hard to read this
site with Net-Tamer, so you may find it easier to use Bobcat, Lynx386,
Arachne, or even (perish the thought) Netscape in Windows.
One other thing. Unlike the 3Com Courier, which uses an Xmodem upload
to flash, you can't flash a Zoom (and, I presume, a _new_ Hayes) in DOS,
Linux, or even in Win 3.1. You have to have Win9x. I had to have a
little help from a friend to get mine flashed up to the current version.
Ronald Dailey
--
RCD
Net-Tamer V 1.12 Beta - Registered
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************