Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:31:15 -500
From: Tom Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: silencing the modem?


On Sunday the 13th of February 2000 at 2.12pm, Nettamer List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

NL>Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:15:26 0 From: John Gregory
NL><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: silencing the modem?


NL>Hi Tom

Hi, John

NL>On 12/02/00 Nettamer List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

NL>TR>>>Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:27:32 -500 From: Tom Rutherford
NL>TR>>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: silencing the modem?

NL>JG>Have you got a source I can refer to so I can find out
NL>JG>some more on this finite life &W feature?

NL>TRTR>                                              ...but I
NL>make TR>it a TR>practice *never* to put &W in a modem init.
NL>string, TR>and I always advise others to use &W only when
NL>needed. TR>YMMV, and all that stuff.

NL>JG>Thanks for the background. I've now fallen in line <g>

NL>TR>Your modem will love you.  :-)  Are you the one with the
NL>Windows TR>setup that did that for you?  :-)  I think the
NL>manufacturer TR>wanted to sell you another modem, eventually.

NL>It's a Hayes Optima 288 VFC+Fax and it must be quite rugged as
NL>I spent the first week after I bought it second hand failing
NL>to get it to work until I substituted 9v AC for the 9V DC I'd
NL>been using <g>

Well, if it's a Hayes, you couldn't buy one new if you wanted it.  Maybe
in a still shrink-wrapped box from a warehouse somewhere, the way I
bought my Courier, but not exactly new.  At any rate, yes, most modems
require AC.  I can't remember what the details are, but the AC is used
for some kind of timebase, I do believe.  It's been that way since the
old Commodore VIC-20 days.  They always piped 9vac to the user port,
specifically for modems that plugged in there.


-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI

I am Murphy of Borg.  Anything that can be assimilated will be.

NTReader v0.17a(O)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer




********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to