Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 08:34:02 0
From: John Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silencing the modem?


Hi Michael 

 16/02/00 Nettamer List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

  MD>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:59:56 +0000 From: "Michael L.
  MD>Dawley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: silencing the modem?

  MD>On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:34:11 -0500, Nettamer List wrote:

  JG>>It's a Hayes Optima 288 VFC+Fax and it must be quite
  JG>rugged as I spent the first week after I bought it
  JG>second hand failing to get it to work until I
  JG>substituted 9v AC for the 9V DC I'd been using <g>

  MD>I took my Hayes Accura apart once, and noticed a big heat sink
  MD>attached to an SCR transistor, an wondered what it was there
  MD>for. Then, when I got a Hayes 9VAC adapter for it, I realized
  MD>that the AC to DC conversion was taking place right inside
  MD>the modem, and in fact, when the modem is on, the top of the
  MD>case gets warm where the SCR is located. Also, the adapter
  MD>has an output rated at 800 milliampheres, which is quite
  MD>high, and is needed to handle the big AC to DC setup inside
  MD>the modem...

I've just checked the top of the case of my Optima after being
switched on for just over an hour and it's warm to the touch as you
say. That explains the substantial metal case unlike the cheap
plastic on my spare Motorola 3400 Online.

Cheers

jaygee


"NT with NTR - DOS alive in Win95"



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to