Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:59:56 +0000
From: "Michael L. Dawley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: silencing the modem?
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 07:34:11 -0500, Nettamer List wrote:
<snip>
> NL>It's a Hayes Optima 288 VFC+Fax and it must be quite rugged as
> NL>I spent the first week after I bought it second hand failing
> NL>to get it to work until I substituted 9v AC for the 9V DC I'd
> NL>been using <g>
> Well, if it's a Hayes, you couldn't buy one new if you wanted it. Maybe
> in a still shrink-wrapped box from a warehouse somewhere, the way I
> bought my Courier, but not exactly new. At any rate, yes, most modems
> require AC. I can't remember what the details are, but the AC is used
> for some kind of timebase, I do believe. It's been that way since the
> old Commodore VIC-20 days. They always piped 9vac to the user port,
> specifically for modems that plugged in there.
> -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
Hello Tom, all:
I took my Hayes Accura apart once, and noticed a big heat sink
attached to an SCR transistor, an wondered what it was there for.
Then, when I got a Hayes 9VAC adapter for it, I realized that the
AC to DC conversion was taking place right inside the modem, and
in fact, when the modem is on, the top of the case gets warm where
the SCR is located. Also, the adapter has an output rated at 800
milliampheres, which is quite high, and is needed to handle the
big AC to DC setup inside the modem.
On silencing the modem: I have a Viking V.90 56K Speakerphone/
voice modem, and it's quiet all the time since I do not have
a speaker plugged into the back. If I wanted to hear it, I could
get a plug and run it to the sound card input, or something.
Thanks,
Michael L. Dawley
Pearl, Mississippi
Bobcat, Net-T, Arachne, etc.
-- Compudyne 486DX4-100 --
DOS 6.22, WIN 98, Arachne 1.60
-- Arachne V1.60;b1, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************